Monday, October 22, 2007

5 More Questions

In honor of Family History Month, this week's 24-7 Family History Circle questions deal with family.



  1. How has a member of your family influenced you? Where do you begin to answer a question like this? How have they not?
  2. How often did you see extended family (e.g., aunts, uncles, cousins), and what was it like when you all got together? The Thorntons had a big family reunion fairly often. I don't recall being overly fond of the reunions as a child. With the other families, it was only when we drove for visits or an occasional reunion.
  3. What kind of traditions did/does your family observe? Were there special ways you celebrated birthdays? Holidays? We celebrated the Christian holidays--Christmas and Easter. We opened gifts on Christmas day.
  4. Did your family have pets? I had cats and dogs. Unfortunately my neighbor's dog was usual the demise of my cats. I even had a goldfish after I won it at the fair until it died a few days later.
  5. What foods did you family enjoy? Was there a special dish that was always on the table at family get-togethers? We enjoyed food period. For Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was usually turkey and dressing with all the trimmings. For Easter, it was usually ham. Whenever someone in the family died, everyone from the community brought in food. We used to joke with one of my cousins who could eat anything and still be skinny and with one of my brothers about their portion size. We had portion sizes named after them!

No comments: