Monday, October 01, 2007

5 Questions

October is Family History Month, and Juliana at 24/7 Family History Circle is providing a weekly set of 5 questions to help each of us tell our stories.



What was your favorite subject in school?



History. In the earlier grades, this was "social studies."


In what extra-curricular activities did you participate? Sports? Drama? Music? Academics?



Oddly enough, I didn't play sports in high school but I did play basketball in college. I played a lot of tennis back when I was in middle school and the early years of high school, but I was too afraid to try out for the team even though I was one of the top players in my class.

Drama - I was in "Ten Little Indians."

Music was always a big part of my life. I took piano from about second grade into high school. I played piano at church. Band for us started in sixth grade. I played flute and piccolo in the band through middle and high school. I played keyboards for stage band (or jazz band) as well. I sang in an ensemble at church, won a vocal scholarship to college, and even had full band scholarships if I'd gone to colleges I had decided against attending. I sang in the high school chorus one year, but taking more music classes meant that I could take less academic ones. I actually had planned to take physics that year, but I refused to take another class by the teacher who had been my chemistry teacher who couldn't teach. That's the only reason I took chorus that year--to avoid that teacher.

Academics - I was a member of National Honor Society and Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica.

Other clubs - I was a joiner. Like a lot of others, I joined just so I wouldn't have to sit quietly in homeroom and be bored out of my mind.


Did you go on field trips, and if so, what was your most memorable field trip?

I remember going to the Natchez Trace Parkway's visitor center in Tupelo in 4th grade. I still have a few pictures of that trip.

The later trips full of memories were band trips and Spanish trips. Oddly enough, I remember the trip we didn't make most of all. Our band was invited to perform for President Reagan's inauguration. We didn't go because our director didn't think we could fund that trip and the trip we made to Enid, Oklahoma every 4 years in the same year. If he'd asked us, we would have given up the Enid trip. That particular band director was not very popular. He came after the "Taylor and Cadden" years. We all loved Mr. Taylor and Mr. Cadden. This director was nothing like them. We made that trip to Enid (and a trip to Dallas as part of it), but those of us who were seniors and knew about the other invitation were always upset about the trip we might have made instead.

What teacher influenced you the most?

I'd have to say that Mr. Wilson (World History and American History) and Mr. Ortiz (Spanish I, II, and III) were my top teachers. Mr. Wilson brought history to life. Mr. Ortiz was a fun teacher who spent time getting to know us and invited us to his farm for hayrides and cookouts.

Did you buy a lunch at school, or bring one from home? What kind of lunchbox? What was your favorite lunch?

At various times I bought lunches as school. I usually brought one from home. I remember a Barbie lunch box at one point. Most of the time it was a plain black metal lunchbox with the curved top and a bunch of stickers or a paper bag later. I don't remember much about what I took as lunches, but I'd guess peanut butter and banana sandwiches were always popular with me. Later it was probably ham and cheese. Chips would have been a necessity. I also liked "Ding-Dongs" for dessert.

No comments: