Thursday, November 29, 2007

Some Thoughts on the Cancellation of Emeril Live

I was upset when Food Network moved Emeril Live from the 8 p.m. Eastern time slot to the 7 p.m. Eastern time slot which is 6 p.m. Central and conflicts with the local news there. My mother was an avid Emeril fan. It's one of the few shows on television that she truly enjoyed; however, there was no way Dad would give up the local news to watch it even though he usually watched Emeril with her. Now we hear that Emeril Live will only live in re-runs. This is truly disappointing. I've been very disappointed with the direction that the Food Network seems to be going with all the cook-offs, reality shows, etc. I couldn't believe they cancelled Molto Mario earlier this year. His show is much better than Giada's. I think Food Network is forgetting the people that made it a network. Pretty soon there will be no reason to watch Food Network because it will all be reality shows with no true personalities that keep people coming back.

I've not really seen a good reason for the cancellation. If they say it was ratings-related, they brought about the poor ratings themselves by moving it to a poor time-slot so they could air the junk I've seen all fall in their prime time slots -- most of which I've ended up turning off because it doesn't interest me. I used to be able to know that there was decent programming at night on Food Network. This fall, I've sat with the TV turned off a lot because I can't find anything decent to watch.

2 comments:

Moultrie Creek said...

It's not just Food Network either. HGTV is doing the same thing. It seems like they are trying to prop up the real estate market with all these dumb buy/sell shows. And then there are the "design" shows that are nothing but infomercials for housewares and fixtures.

And people wonder why I'm such a fan of Roots Television and YouTube . . .

Lori Thornton said...

You are exactly right! I used to watch HGTV more, but I'm getting tired of it as well. They are all owned by Scripps. I absolutely hate all those "I Want That" shows they have. Those are definitely infomercials.