Tuesday, January 08, 2008

LibraryThing vs. GoodReads

DearMYRTLE has a post discussing LibraryThing and GoodReads. I am a LibraryThing enthusiast. Part of my enthusiasm comes from the librarian in me. I have only recently begun to play with GoodReads. It's okay, but it seems to serve a slightly different niche than LibraryThing. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about GoodReads, but I want more information on my book. I've been using LibraryThing long enough that I'm much more comfortable with it than GoodReads. I do wish that the genealogy groups were more active. However, the ability to browse similar libraries is extremely helpful (and fun). I've asked several of my real-life or blogging friends to be their LibraryThing friend, but some of them appear to have entered a portion of their library and then forgotten about LibraryThing (even some of those who paid the $25 to become lifetime members). I was thrilled a few months ago when there were genealogical titles for early reviewing. I'm just sad that I didn't get the title I really, really, really wanted and that has been on my wish list for awhile. I hope more genealogical publishers will send review copies to LibraryThing. I'm just now beginning to explore the reviewing options. I've added reviews of the last few titles I have read. My focus for awhile was on entering my library. I know that I've still got some titles to add, but I've got to figure out which titles were not in my prior book database. I like LibraryThing because it is online. This means that I don't have to be on the computer that has the database to search it; I just have to have Internet access. I do wish there were some private fields available to us (other than a comment field) so that we could track loans or suppression fields so that we can keep books which we have withdrawn from our libraries in the database so that we don't "repurchase" them but so that it doesn't display as a part of our library. About all you can presently do is tag it as "withdrawn." This would also enable you to add books that you have ordered but not received. I would also like a price field to record the value of the book for insurance purposes. I, like many other librarians, have adopted LibraryThing, and while I may continue to play with GoodReads, I doubt it will ever become my program of choice.

2 comments:

Moultrie Creek said...

I don't know about GoodReads and I'm in no hurry to learn because LibraryThing just suits my needs. Like you I would like a status field so I can track books I loan to friends and family. Your comment about the genealogy community is probably our fault as much as anything. We haven't put the word out letting others know the value of this site. It's time to start talking!

Lee said...

I'd never heard of GoodReads until today, but I checked it out just now, and I kinda like it. I've got an account at LibraryThing, but I'm like your friends, Lori -- I created it and then forgot about it.

I might play around with goodreads for a couple days and see if it inspires me in a way that librarything hasn't yet.