Wednesday, April 30, 2008

National Day of Prayer

Tomorrow, May 1 is the National Day of Prayer. In many communities, people will be gathering on the courthouse lawns to pray for our local and national leaders. While my responsibilities at work will prohibit me from attending one of these events, I do plan to offer up my own prayer for our local leaders, for our senators and representatives, for our president, for the upcoming elections, etc. There is a song that was popular in the Southern Gospel market about a decade ago that had a line that really makes you stop and think: "Prayer changes things AND it changes me!" I won't recount all the places in the Bible that record where prayer changed the course of history. If you want to check out some of those accounts, I invite you to go to BibleGateway.com and search on the word pray, prayer, praying, and related terms. In closing, I want to share a few lines of an old hymn that we sang when I was growing up.

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

1 comment:

Thomas MacEntee said...

I remember singing this too - the hymn was What A Friend We Have In Jesus.