Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mail

You just never know what you are going to find when you go out to your mailbox. I had 4 pieces of mail today. One was one of those credit card offers. Another was an offer for a home equity line of credit. One was Southern Living's latest issue. The last piece of mail was the most exciting though. It was from the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration. Okay - it was from the U.S. Census Bureau. It seems that my household (The letter made sure it let me know that it wasn't me individually but my address) has been randomly chosen to complete one of those American Community Surveys. The survey should arrive soon. I actually had one of the long forms in 2000 although I was living at a different address then. Since Hamblen County is roughly the size of Greene County (Hamblen is slightly smaller) and Greene County's sample rate is posted, I can assume that I'm one of no more than 644 households selected in our county to take the survey. This, of course, is any genealogist's dream--to be chosen to participate in these surveys which, if kept and made available in 72 years, will be useful to future generations of family historians! Now . . . I have another piece of mail to look forward to receiving!

No comments: