Saturday, August 02, 2008

Bloodline - A Book with a Genealogical Plot


Mountain, Fiona. Bloodline: A Genealogical Mystery. New York: Signet, 2006.

Natasha Blake is a British genealogist working on a report for a client named Charles Seagrove who suddenly turns up dead. Natasha, Richard Seagrove, and the police both believe that the reason for his death can be found by her continuing to work on the project. What happened during this community during World War II is of key importance in the investigations. It's a well-written story but the plot gets bogged down in a few places. I really cannot vouch for historical accuracy in the book, but the author's bibliography shows she used extensive research in developing this plot. I learned a few things about British-German relations during the war and additional information about Germany's eugenics program that I will have to research further when I get a chance. I debated on whether to give this a 3.5 or a 4 and decided to give it a 3.5 because it was a book that didn't hold my attention as well as it could have.

No comments: