Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sears Doesn't Want My Business

When I came home yesterday in these frigid temperatures that we've been experiencing, I was unable to get my garage door to close. After numerous attempts, I finally had to climb atop my car and reach for the emergency drawstring which would allow me to close it manually. The garage door opener is a Sears Craftsman model and had an 800 number on the drawstring. I called that number this morning where I had one of those fun experiences with an automated call answering system. (I hate those things. Just give me a live person who really understands what I want!) When I tried to tell them I needed the garage door fixed, it didn't recognize that term so it finally put me through to an operator. I'm guessing their call center was in India because the person who eventually answered had an Indian accent and was difficult to understand. When I explained what I needed, he was going to set me up with an appointment. They couldn't repair it until February 10--almost a month away. I told him that was unacceptable and that if he couldn't find a date in the next few days that I would just find someone else to fix it. He offered no other dates so I cancelled the service request. I went to the yellow pages and discovered at least 5 companies in the area who service garage doors of all makes and models. I decided to put off the call until I can talk to some folks at church tomorrow to see who services their door openers. One of the companies (according to their ad) even offers same day emergency service -- a far cry from the nearly month-long wait that Sears offered. I know that I won't have to pull that string much longer! I just find it difficult to believe that in these tough economic times that Sears can stay afloat with the kind of service that I received today. I know that if I need service on any of my Kenmore appliances after this that I will not be calling Sears. I also know that I will not be going to Sears to purchase additional appliances. If this is the kind of service that they offer, I simply don't want their product.

1 comment:

wendy said...

we had the same problem with Mont. Wards years ago - and look what happened to them!