Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday in Mississippi

I arrived in Mississippi on Monday. It's hot here. I knew I was in trouble when the weather forecasters were saying something about temperatures being near the century mark. It might not have been so bad, but my car's air conditioner was not working properly. I have an appointment with the Honda dealer for servicing tomorrow. I hope the problem is whatever the cheapest solution will be -- maybe freon?

Needless to say I'm trying to work out of Mom and Dad's house until the auto A/C is working a little better. I do have to make some trips to some courthouses and other repositories and to the Mississippi Department of Archives and History while I'm here, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm making good progress on one of the projects for this trip. The other project mostly involves visiting a courthouse to gather additional documentation so it's on hold until Friday.

Now . . . a few of my favorite recent blog posts:

I love roses and Amy has done a great job of capturing the beauty of the roses near Rye, New Hampshire.

I have really enjoyed most of Monica Ferris' needlework mystery series. Monica offers her readers some tips on saving money on their needlework hobby. I will have to admit that I prefer non-DMC and Anchor fibers, but I am trying to go to my "stash" more often these days when I do stitch. I think my favorite part of her post is where she tells how she came about writing the series and admits to errors in her first book. The store which served as inspiration for Betsy's store in the series is in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and I'm looking forward to visiting it next summer when the Association of Christian Librarians' conference is in that area.

Speaking of stitching, I first knew about Taneya when she was more into stitching than genealogy. She had created a wonderful database of cross-stitch magazines. I rejoiced with her when she developed a passion for researching her family. Taneya shares with us a wonderful "find" that she made as a result of a connection made through another genealogy blog.

All of us have had that moment when we see hope in cracking one of our brick walls only to have some additional evidence come to light which casts a little doubt on the subject. Craig shares with us his Gines/Gimes/Simms situation.

I love books. Dick Eastman points us all to a great site for finding used genealogy books -- biblio.com. It was featured slightly beforehand at Lifehacker.

3 comments:

WmLawson said...

Hi, Lori - while you're in Mississippi you might be interested in the brand new Mississippi Historical Markers section which we just launched this week at StoppingPoints.com.

Christine Thresh said...

The store, Crewel World, isn't a real store, but it is located in a real city. I googled the town and took a "street view" tour on a google map. It was fun. Many of the places in the books are just as Monica Ferris described them.

Lori Thornton said...

Christine, there is a real store that is supposed to have served as inspiration for the fictional shop. This is the story that I'm looking forward to visiting.