Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Challenge

I would like to challenge everyone who is outraged with Ancestry.com's recent actions to get on board FamilySearchIndexing's project and help index "the vault" in Salt Lake City. The sooner we get this done, the less dependent we become upon The Generations Network! I was motivated to do an extra 100 records tonight!

. . . and to reward my efforts, my very first batch gave me a chuckle on the very first record. In the city of Portland, Maine, there is a James Butler who is a butler by occupation!

. . . and in the next batch, I had my first person of Syrian descent!

Update: I was so motivated that I did 200 records in 1 hour 15 minutes!

Update again: AnceStories has a great post about Ancestry.com's two-faced approach in the light of recent actions.

Update (8/29): They've removed the collection for now. Dear Myrtle also has a good post. I still don't like Ancestry's statement which said it is removed "for now." To me, that implies that they plan to put it back up later. If they are an ethical company, they won't put it back up. If they aren't an ethical company, I don't want to do business with them.

Update (8/30): Let me try to make it clear that I do not have a problem with paying for database access to collections although I think there are some that are overpriced when you compare these to what their competitors are charging. My objection is that they were stealing intellectual property.

Someone else was also more motivated to do FamilySearchIndexing!

No comments: