Friday, November 16, 2007

Page 161 Meme

I borrowed this from Amy.

Open up the book you are currently reading to page 161 and read the sixth sentence on the page, then think of 5 bloggers to tag.

Last night, I started a "fun read." It's called Cooking Up Murder and is written by Miranda Bliss. The sixth sentence on page 161 is "I breathed a sigh of relief."

I am tagging:

Linda at The In Season Christian Librarian

Suzanne at CBCTS Librarian

Maggie at Maggie Reads

Taneya at Taneya's Genealogy Blog

and the footnoteMaven

Update (11/17):

First, I confess that I only had one of the 4 books I'm currently reading downstairs with me at the time, so I only gave you the book I really was reading between blogging and watching TV. I will give you page 161 of my other books in progress now.

I'm reading a children's book entitled Each Little Bird that Sings by Deborah Wiles. It's aimed at about a 4th-6th grade audience and was a National Book Award finalist the year it was written. The "draw" for the book is that it is about a girl who lives in a funeral home in Mississippi and writes obituaries. What family historian can resist such a book description? Anyway, the 6th complete sentence of page 161 is "He nodded."

My most literary book in progress at the moment is Ross King's Ex-Libris. The 6th sentence of page 161 is actually a somewhat incomplete sentence in that the subject and verb are implied from sentence 5. It is "Records of your sales?" Let me just say that they are trying to locate a rare manuscript that has been taken from a home. In this sentence, the antiquarian dealer/investigator is asking the person whether he keeps records of the sales. I can't help but think about the sales ledgers from the store in Quincy, Mississippi that Terry posted.

The other book in progress is my non-fiction history book. I'm reading Communities of Kinship: Antebellum Families and the Settlement of the Cotton Frontier by Carolyn Earle Billingsley who blogs over at Life in Possum Holler. I've had the book for awhile but I'm just getting around to reading it. Page 161 is in the references of that book. I don't know how to count bibliographic citations. If I go with punctuation as a guide, the 6th sentence is "19. Woodman, King Cotton and His Retainers (see esp. chap. 9, "Bankers and Planters"); and Cashin, A Family Venture, 6-7."

Taneya reports that she's too busy with genealogical research to read at this time.

Here's a listing of bloggers that have participated in the meme. If you know of others, let me know, and I'll add them to the list (or you can just add as a comment).

footnoteMaven replies with The 161 meme.

Randy at Genea-Musings replies with The "161" Meme.

Terry at Hill Country of Northeast Mississippi responds with The 161 Meme. Terry challenged his readers to reply so there are several who have responded in the comments. I'll extend the invitation to my readers to reply in the comments as well.

In what may well be the most amusing entry, Jasia at Creative Gene who was reading a Janet Evanovich book (need I say more?) responds with 161 Meme, Oh My!

Becky at Kinexxions replies with The 161 Meme.

Update (11/18):

Maggie of Maggie Reads has responded with Sixth Sentence 161 Meme.

Schelly at Tracing the Tribe has entered with 161 Meme: Tracing the Tribe Tagged.

Lee at the I Seek Dead People Blog has posted The "161" Meme.

Steve at Steve's Genealogy Blog has asked "Do You Really Want to Know What I'm Reading?"

Miriam at AnceStories replies with Two Memes: 161 and Can You Top This?

Jessica at Jessica's GeneJournal responded with The 161 Meme.

George at Genealogy-Photography-Restoration has also entered The 161 Meme.

Chery at Nordic Blue has also submitted The 161 Meme.

John at Transylvanian Dutch responded with a meme of his own. He invites anyone who wishes to participate. No tagging required. It's called Can You Top This? I won't give a spoiler, but I can't top the number of children there! The replies are interesting too!

Nikki-ann has also entered the 161 Meme.

Karen at Passions of My Heart has replied with Naughty or Nice?

Apple at Apple's Tree has responded to The 161 Meme.

Craig at GeneaBlogie has added Page 161.

Bill of West in New England has responded with MEME 161. This one is rather colorful as would be any post which includes the word "entrails."

Update (11/19):

Susan at Family Oral History Using Digital Tools entered 161 Meme!

Paula Stewart-Warren of Paula's Genealogical Eclectica chimes in with Page 161, 6th Sentence.

Update (11/29):

George Morgan has replied with Do You Really Want to Know What I'm Reading? I will say that as a librarian, I really appreciated his comment about keeping funding for public libraries. I've seen too many public libraries closing their doors in the last few years because government officials decided it is an expense they can live without. Not everyone can afford to purchase books. Most of the free book programs such as Dolly's Imagination Library only extend to children up to age 5. If we are going to do something about the growing problem of illiteracy in this country, we need to be committed to public libraries and to their funding.

5 comments:

maggie moran said...

I posted the 161 meme! Thanks it was fun! :D

Bill West said...

Lori,
Yeah, gotta love that old time medieval religion.Thanks for the fun!

My biggest problem was finding a blogger who hadn't already been tagged by the time I'd come home from work and read that I'd been tagged. *grin*
Bill

penguinn said...

read? Who has time? Besides, the last book I was reading (Power of a praying wife) is long overdue because I can't find what I did with it. Guess I'll have to declare it lost and pay my library the fee. And I'm the librarian. Isn't that awful!!!?

penguinn said...

read? Who has time? Besides, the last book I was reading (Power of a praying wife) is long overdue because I can't find what I did with it. Guess I'll have to declare it lost and pay my library the fee. And I'm the librarian. Isn't that awful!!!?

Unknown said...

"To her sister Princess Victoria of Battenberg she wrote: 'Don't think my ill health depresses me personally.'" From "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie. This is spoken by the Empress of Russia, Alexandra, one of the subjects of this fascinating book. ~Nancy Mitchell