Sunday, July 04, 2004

4th of July

On holidays, I often wonder how some of our ancestors celebrated these in the past. This past week, I was typing up some pages from a book published in 1881 that described the first 4th of July celebration in the town of Ashland, Wisconsin. One of the highlights of the day was the reading of the Declaration of Independence. It made me wonder when the last time most Americans have heard the words to this important document of our history. I knew I had not read it in years -- probably since I had to read it for a history class in undergraduate days -- or possibly even high school. I decided that I'd better read it again myself to truly appreciate the freedoms we as Americans enjoy. I invite you to also read the Declaration of Independence of the United States. It gave me a renewed sense of what my ancestors lived through during the Colonial Period of the U. S.

No comments: