Friday, July 27, 2018

GRIP 2018

Today is the last day of the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh session for which I enrolled. I took the Fundamentals of Forensic Genealogy course. I really enjoyed the course with Catherine Desmarais, CG, Kelvin Meyer, Michael Ramage JD, CG, Judy Russell JD, CG, CGL, CeCe Moore, and Amber Goodpaster Tauscher. I gained a better understanding of the work of forensic genealogists and how I might prepare for supplementing my income with forensic cases in retirement should I choose to pursue this line of work.


My advice for persons attending GRIP in the future is to stay in the Fairfield Inn or Homewood Suites nearby rather than the dorms. The beds were not comfortable, and we had to bring a lot of extra things (extra towels and wash cloths, mattress pad, extra quilt, wireless router which was advised but not needed, lamp, hair dryer, etc.) I did not enjoy the foods. They tended to put at least one ingredient in things which ruined dishes for me. For example, they ruined a perfectly good pork loin with mustard. They ruined other dishes by adding mushrooms (fungus).

If you are used to the breaks at IGHR (Institute for Genealogical and Historical Research), these do not compare favorably. The same foods were out every day at break. Because I had a temporary crown, I was unable to eat any of them because they were all hard. Break food consisted of animal crackers, pretzels, M & Ms, and trail mix.

However, the course itself was excellent, and that's why I attended. We'll receive our certificates before lunch, load the cars, and leave for home. I'm looking forward to seeing my cats!


No comments: