Athearn, Frederic J. Land of Contrast: A History of Southeast Colorado. Denver: Bureau of Land Management, 1985.
Chapters in this government publication include:
- The Natural Setting
- The First Europeans
- An American Invasion
- The New West Is Explored
- Early Agricultural Settlement
- Pike's Peak or Bust
- Confrontations: Removal and Transition
- A Period of Transition: Into the 1870's
- A Time of Building, 1870-1880
- Into Maturity, 1880-1900
- A Period of Change: 1900-1920
- Hard Times: 1920-1940
- From War to Prosperity: 1940-1980
It's available at many Federal Depository Library Program libraries and at HathiTrust Digital Library.