Mehls, Steven F. The New Empire of the Rockies: A History of Northeast Colorado. Denver: Bureau of Land Management, 1984.
Chapters in this government publication include:
- The Natural Setting
- Exploration and the Fur Trade
- The Pike's Peak Gold Rush and After
- The Ranchers' Frontier
- The Sodbusters Arrive
- Early Mining in Northeastern Colorado
- The Transportation Frontier in Northeastern Colorado
- The Urban Frontier
- The 1890s, a Time for Change
- The Early Twentieth Century
- Depression Decades, 1920-1940
- Northeastern Colorado Since 1940
This volume is available at many libraries associated with the Federal Depository Library Program or online through HathiTrust Digital Library.