Sunday, October 07, 2007

My First Job

Miriam over at Ancestories 2 has provided me something to blog about tonight! I just came in from church where I directed the 4th-6th grade choir, sang on the praise team during the evening worship service, and attended an extra choir rehearsal for our Living Christmas Tree. Needless to say, the brain muscles were getting a bit tired. I was delighted to see her questions related to "your first job" which would guide my blogging thoughts tonight.

My first job was at our church camp where I was a "staff" counselor. I was the canteen manager and wore a lot of other hats too although canteen manager was my official title. As I recall, they had a day in the spring before the summer where high schoolers could attend for training if they were interested in working for the camp. There really weren't that many of us who showed up, and I really was lucky because I think I got the best job of all! I had to make trips several times a week to the place where we got all the drinks and candy for the canteen to stock up. The canteen was open 2 or 3 times a day, and I usually had one helper during the really busy times to help sell our goods. Sometimes I served as the back-up lifeguard, particularly if we had swimming and lake activities going on at the same time. It was a perfect summer job. I remember serving as the dorm mom for the junior girls one year when they were short of women faculty one year. There were always junior girls who just weren't used to being away from home. We tried to help them get over that homesickness. The most fun thing about being a staff counselor were the kitchen raids at night. We'd also go for midnight swims, and I think we even went canoeing late one night. I did this for a total of about 3 or 4 summers. We didn't get paid much, but it was fun.

No comments: