Sunday, February 17, 2008

Reading Roundup - 2/17/08

Most of you know that I'm a librarian. Our church is reinvigorating its library. I found this article in the Clarion Ledger on church libraries interesting.



I love fresh herbs for cooking and found a great article for those interested in growing their own in the Clarion Ledger.




There's a story of a couple of teen heroes in the Sun Herald. They rescued an 83-year-old man who relies on a walker from his burning home.


The Commercial Appeal carries the memoirs of one of the veterans of Memphis' sanitation workers strike. They also offer a great reading list for black history month from the Memphis-Shelby County library.


A trend future generations of genealogists and family historians will have to deal with is the mobility of our generation. The Boston Globe has an article about the exodus of many of New England's young people from that region.


The New York Times tells us the story of a piece of real estate that is currently on the market. Built 100 years ago as the New York School of Applied Design for Women, it is on the market for $24 million. Don't have that much cash? You can rent it for a mere $925,000 a year. The building has some interesting architectural details, but I know that I won't be buying or renting it anytime soon! They also tell about the sale of Marymount College in Tarrytown to EF Foundation. The small Catholic women's liberal arts college had merged with Fordham University in 2002. Fordham closed the campus last year. Apparently the sisters who had run the school will still have their quarters as they were not included in the sale. Perhaps the most interesting article is "Dumb and Dumber: Are Americans Hostile to Knowledge?" written by Patricia Cohen. It's basically a review of Susan Jacoby's The Age of American Unreason. I don't agree with all of Jacoby's conclusions as reported by the article, but I do think that I want to read the book and judge for myself. If the recommendations I got by adding it to my Amazon.com wish list are any indication, I may not want to read it after all. This will definitely be a "library read."

The Washington Post tells the story of Prince William County's Lucasville Schoolhouse. The school dates back to 1885 and educated blacks. It has been restored and is now open to the public.



No comments: