Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thinking About Home

There's a Southern Gospel song that was made popular by the Talleys back in the 1980s that was called "Thinkin' About Home." The song, of course, was not talk about a home here on earth but about our heavenly home. In another song called "Going Home" we sing, "Going home, I'm going home, There is nothing to hold me here. I've caught a glimpse of that heavenly land, Praise God, I am going home." When the topic for this "Smile for the Camera" came up, there were two things that I couldn't get out of my head. One of those was that "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through." You see, my faith is an important part of who I am, and the word "home" reminds me of heaven. The other is the saying, "Home is where the cat is." My collage tries to show both of these. All of the persons in the photo are deceased members of my family. Some of them I have met here on earth. Others died long before I came along. I know that we'll have a great big family reunion in our eternal home one day because we all believe the words of Jesus in John 14: 1-4 (New King James Version):

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know."


I'll leave you with the words of an old song that speak of our eternal home.

The Unclouded Day
by Rev. J. K. Atwood

O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies,
O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no stormclouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

O they tell me of a home where my friends have gone,
O they tell me of a land far away;
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Sheds its fragrance thru the unclouded day.

O they tell me of the King in His beauty there,
And they tell me that mine eyes shall behold,
Where He sits on the throne that is whiter than snow,
In the city that is made of gold.

O they tell me that He smiles on His children there,
And His smile drives their sorrows all away;
And they tell me that no tears ever come again,
In that lovely land of unclouded day.

4 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

that's a beautiful poem :-)

Lori Thornton said...

Thanks. It's an older hymn that is in the public domain. It's quite popular among bluegrass enthusiasts too!

Tipper said...

Nice post! I to love all the old songs you mentioned. It seems the older hymns have such meaning behind the words.

Donna said...

Lori,
Great hymn, and I love the collage too.
Donna

What's Past is Prologue