Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday Thingers - July 22, 2008

Today's topic: Recommendations. Do you use LT's recommendations feature? Have you found any good books by using it? Do you use the anti-recommendations, or the "special sauce" recommendations? How do you find out about books you want to read?

Yes, I look at the recommendations. Once in awhile I find something to add to my wish list. I have found the anti-recommendations to be less useful simply because I have eclectic tastes. I use a variety of methods to find out about books I want to read. Since I'm a librarian, I often look at publishers catalogs that I receive or reviews that I locate in publications. I also find things in the LibraryThing early reviewers program and its associated group (which usually contains links to the reviews as they are published). I have several book blogs in my feeds, and I am usually adding a few from those as well. I have more things in my wish list than I can possibly get around to reading in the near future, and it just keeps growing!

2 comments:

jmnlman said...

Interesting blog.:) One of the stranger things I've noticed when using the recommendations features is that there are several times when it's suggested books that I have but for some reason or other had not entered into my library yet. Which is kind of creepy.

Lori Thornton said...

Thanks. Sometimes it suggests books I've already entered! It is an interesting feature though!