Friday, August 03, 2018

Better Late Than Never

I intended to create a post last night or this morning for today, but I didn't get it done. Today's agenda involved packing. I'm looking forward to a "real vacation." I expect to do very little research because the purpose of the vacation is to relax. Yes, Ancestry and FamilySearch sometimes call my name even when I'm trying to avoid them, but I do hope to make lists of those things I think about doing and make myself wait to do them. I really need to unwind before the academic year begins.

Now, you and I know that I'm not going to succeed in refraining from genealogy for an entire week, so I've tried to come up with ways to indulge without doing research.

I remembered a second great grand-uncle resided early near where I will vacation. There is a museum in the town he helped found. It is open only two days a week, and only one of those days is while I will be there. I guess I know what I'll be doing that day.

Although I have no ancestors there, I love the historic town of St. Augustine. I plan to make a day trip up there one day.

I really don't know which books will tempt me. I have several audiobooks downloaded for the drive, but I mainly downloaded mysteries. I don't know think any involve genealogy. I only packed a couple of print books--one of those is Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves, a mystery; the other is a literary work on gardens. It's pretty short. I may have packed a third book, but I don't remember what it was. I downloaded a couple of e-books from the library, The Blackhouse by Peter May and Harmless as Doves by P. L. Gaus. The Amish mysteries by Gaus are almost like genealogy for me because they are set in an Amish community where my ancestors once lived. My Kindle app has lots of options on it, including some genealogy mysteries. I only have one advance review copy at the moment on my BlueFire app. It is The Murder of My Aunt by Richard Hull. I suppose that qualifies since it is family-related.

Of course, I did pack a two NGSQ and one TAG issue. I knew better than to try to pack more. I'll be lucky to make it through those.

I hope my cats are ready to curl up and read with me. They may prefer looking out the window at the ocean.

No comments: