Friday, August 10, 2018

St. Augustine

I spent Wednesday in St. Augustine.

A lot of the "historic" attractions sadly are not worth paying the extra money to see them.

For example, the oldest school is ruined by mechanical creatures.

Oldest Wooden School House, St. Augustine

Mechanical figures in the oldest wooden school house

The colonial quarter was also underwhelming.

DeMesa-Sanchez House

Printing press in colonial quarter
One of the things I enjoyed was free--the St. Photios Greek Orthodox shrine. It's not as elaborate as the Greek Orthodox Church's frescoes in Knoxville, but it was interesting and beautiful all the same.

St. Photios

Priestly garment display

I did not try to tour Fort Matanzas this time, but here's a view of it from the watchtower in the colonial quarter.

Castillo de San Marcos
Although I went to the Fountain of Youth on my last trip, I went again this time. I remembered thinking it was a bit of a waste of money, but I remembered they had some new exhibits going in. They really weren't worth the expense, and I was tired at the end of the day. I'd already paid that morning so I at least went and did a quick tour of things. Of course, they treat the water a bit now. It had less of a sulfur taste this time than last.

The Fountain of Youth -- an artesian spring

Filling my cup at the Fountain of Youth

Do I look younger now?

No comments: