Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas Cookies

Did your family make Christmas Cookies? How did you help? Did you have a favorite cookie?

Not really. We mostly made candies. I loved Christmas cookies, especially the cut-out ones with the frosting. I think that Mom occasionally made a jam thumbprint cookie or something similar, but I didn't really like those very well when I was young. I remember Mom making a chocolate chip cookie once in awhile, but not at Christmas. I didn't like hers as well as Toll House Cookies though. I think I’m more of a cookie baker than my mom was though. One year I made some “peppermint rounds” that were in the Southern Living. They were quite delicious, but they were not quick and easy. When I lived in Cincinnati, one of my colleagues shared her quite tasty “Pie Crust Cookies” that is your basic cut-out cookie recipe that you frost however you wish. I try different cookies different years. I like to be adventurous in the kitchen!

These aren't cookies, but I made these decadent brownies last night and took them to a party tonight. I substituted the peppermint extract in the batter because I got the regular Oreos. I used Ghiridelli chocolate. The only thing that could possibly improve upon them is to add a scoop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream to the top while they are still warm. This recipe is definitely staying in my collection.

3 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Lori

Thanks for the brownie recipe link - they look great. I guess adding the peppermint is cheaper than buying those Mystic Mint cookies (basically mint oreos dipped in chocolate).

This reminded me to make my raspberry brownies this holiday season.

Lori Thornton said...

Actually, I couldn't locate the ones with "peppermint" filling. There were some with a mint filling but it was green instead of white, and it had been obvious to me from the picture that the filling that the guy at Baking Bites described was white. I decided to play it safe with the peppermint extract rather than risking the "mint" being spearmint which didn't seem like it would go quite as well.

Jasia said...

Ohhh, Lori. You've got my mouth watering now! I'm going to have to give this recipe a try. My family members are mint fanatics. I suspect they'll flip over these. Thanks!