Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Music

What songs did your family listen to during Christmas? Did you ever go caroling? Did you have a favorite song?

We had a few Christmas albums at the house growing up. I know one of them had Gene Autry singing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Another had a version of "I Saw Momma Kissing Santa Claus". I think there was one of hymns, and a Perry Como Christmas album.

Some of my favorite Christmas songs were the ones I heard when I was in the Tupelo Mall. Songs like "The Christmas Song," "Winter Wonderland," and "Let It Snow."

I have quite the collection of Christmas albums now too. Some of my favorites are Bing Crosby's White Christmas, The Carpenters' Christmas album (I am away from my collection at the moment and can't check the titles), Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas album (the original one - I haven't heard their new one yet although I did hear a cut from it on the radio today), Kenny G's Christmas album, Amy Grant's Christmas Album (the first one that had "Tennessee Christmas," "Heirlooms," and "Emmanuel" on it), and the Talleys' Christmas album from about 1989 - give or take a couple of years.

As far as favorite songs, as far as religious ones, I would have to say my two favorites are on Greater Vision's Christmas album. Both feature Gerald Wolfe, their lead singer. The two cuts are "Cherish That Name" and "O Holy Night." As far as secular, I have to go with Amy Grant's "Tennessee Christmas" as far as more recent ones. I love a lot of the classic songs too. I think it's hard to pick a favorite Christmas song, because I love most of them.

Caroling? Our youth group used to go. I was going to go in the park this year in Morristown, but I wasn't well enough yet to go. It sounded like fun.

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

I love Amy Grant's Christmas album, too (still have it on cassette), and most years will play it while I'm setting up the tree.