Smoky Mountain Family Historian

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Christmas Tree Ornaments


Did your family have heirloom or cherished ornaments? Did you ever string popcorn and cranberries? Did your family make ornaments?

I think the cherished ornaments were the homemade ones that I made in kindergarten. We mostly had glass balls. There were some that had some sort of sunburst in them that were kind of different. I only remember one time we tried the popcorn stringing. We didn’t make ornaments for the tree on a regular basis, but every now and then there was one.Today, I collect Christmas tree ornaments for places I visit. I’ve also got a few that either mom or I have made from craft type things. I’ve got ornaments that have been given to me that make me remember the person who gave them to me as I hang them.

I'll try to share a bit about the ornaments in the collage.

First row, first ornament - Yellowstone National Park. I got this on my first visit to Wyoming. My brother had been transferred with Wal-Mart to Sheridan. We decided to go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks while we were out there. My parents had driven from Mississippi, but I flew from Cincinnati, where I was then living into Billings, Montana where my brother met me at the airport.

First row, second ornament - Operation Christmas Child. Most folks are familiar with their shoebox program at Christmas. Last year I had the opportunity to go over to Boone to help get the boxes ready for distribution. They gave all volunteers this ornament as a means of thanking us. We worked a two or three hour shift, and I believe we were all exhausted at the end of the time. It's a little late to prepare a shoebox for this year, but I hope all of you will consider putting together a shoebox for next year.

First row, third ornament - Cincinnati Reds, 1990. This ornament commemorated their sweep of the Oakland A's in the World Series. This was when I was living in Cincinnati. I remember really celebrating that win. I had one of those craft brooms on my door with a bunch of cut-out A's under the straw.

First row, fourth ornament - My best friend who knows how much I love the Vols gave me this Smokey ornament.

Second row, first ornament - This is from today's Ladies Brunch at church. It's my newest ornament.

Second row, second ornament - Wall Drug - If you've never been to this South Dakota landmark, it's worth the trip for the glass of free ice water.

Second row, third ornament - This ornament with a sled was given to me by some special friends who live in Virginia.

Third row, first ornament - Roy Rogers-Dale Evans museum in Branson. I got this one the year the Association of Christian Librarians Conference was in Springfield, Missouri. A few of us snuck down to Branson during a break in the conference.

Third row, second ornament - This is actually a left-over from some ornaments that I gave to other people one year. I believe I purchased it at Cracker Barrel.

Third row, third ornament - This angel was given to me by a colleague in Cincinnati. It's a beautiful angel.

Third row, fourth ornament - This is an ornament made with beads and fishing line that I made last year. I've got lots more beads and fishing line and plan to make more if I ever have the time. We made this at the story time that the student organization I sponsor at work hosted.

Fourth row, first ornament - This is the bottom part of an ornament that my Mom purchased for me on one of their big post-retirement trips. I believe she got it in Oregon.

Fourth row, second ornament (in third column) - This is an ornament I purchased in Charleston, South Carolina. It depicts Rainbow Row.

There are lots more, but I thought I'd just share a few!

I thought Randy might appreciate the following ornament from the San Diego Zoo. I got it on a visit in 2000.


Labels:

3 Comments:

  • What a lovely collection! I wish I'd thought to share some of my ornaments this way. I really enjoyed seeing and learning about your collection, Lori!

    By Blogger Jasia, at 2:00 PM  

  • Did you get a chance to see any of the Branson shows while there?

    By Blogger Dev, at 4:28 PM  

  • I have seen shows in Branson, but not on the trip where I purchased the ornament.

    By Blogger Lori Thornton, at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home