Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmas Parties

No parties for us. The closest thing to a party was the family getting together. One year we had a lot of us there. The neighbor came over to take a photo of the entire family. (The picture shows 14, but I think that I had some aunts and uncles there too.) We stood at the end of the living room where the piano was. We heard a “crack” in the floor, and the men went investigating and discovered there was a termite problem.


"This is the "picture that broke the floor." After I looked at the picture, I don't think this picture was made at Christmas, but probably in late summer. Notice the light clothing! Also the "baby" in this photo was born in mid-June so a late summer date is probably more likely. It's strange how we remember certain things happening at times of the year when they did not.



I do remember Christmas parties back in elementary school. I don’t really remember what we did back then, but I remember it was on the last afternoon before we got out for break.


Of course, I’ve attended many parties as adults. I’ve got at least four to attend this year.

Visit the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories at Destination: Austin Family for more entries!

3 comments:

Janice said...

I remember my mother getting us all together each fall, just around the time we'd go back to school and would have a new outfit to wear. We'd all pose, and that would be the photograph she'd use to send out with her Christmas card.

Maybe your mom did that too, and that is why you associate the photograph with Christmas.

Janice

Jasia said...

LOL! Good one Lori!

Lori Thornton said...

Janice,
We didn't ever do Christmas card photos so that wasn't it. I guess it's just that it was unusual for the entire family to be together like that other than at a holiday, and the neighbor who took the photo was always coming over at some point when we'd be together at Christmas so she could get a piece of that Amalgamation Cake.
Lori