Sunday, February 17, 2008

Non-Fiction Meme

Just by reading Maggie Reads, I've been tagged in a meme created by Gautami.

What issues/topic interests you most--non-fiction, i.e, cooking, knitting, stitching, thereare infinite topics that has nothing to do with novels?

My number one category of non-fiction is that of history and genealogy. I particularly enjoy books about the colonial period of American history. My number two category would be cooking. A third category in which I read a lot of non-fiction is Christianity. My reading interests are very varied in that category and do not usually extend to the latest Christian best-sellers.

Would you like to review books concerning those?

Sure. I apply for books in LibraryThing in those categories, although I've only received one fiction title so far. The February giveaways will be announced soon. I don't remember any history titles in this particular batch that I requested. However, I'm always open to reviewing books that I think would be interesting.

Would you like to be paid or do it as interest or hobby? Tell reasons for what ever you choose.

Compensation would be nice, but it's not required. I'd do it for the love of reading.

Would you recommend those to your friends and how?

Like most librarians, I'm always making recommendations and even asking people how they liked a particular book. I have been posting reviews of books I've read on Facebook (via one of the book applications) and on LibraryThing. I occasionally post reviews or observations from reading on my blog.

If you have already done something like this, link it to your post.

I haven't been posting reviews to LibraryThing that long, but here is a review of Unchristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity, one of The Jane Austen Cookbook and one of Boston's North End. Here's an observation I made while reading South Boston: My Home Town. Here's one of The Walker Sisters of Little Greenbrier. (I did purchase my own copy when I visited the park to see the fall foliage.) Here's another observation made while reading The Eastern Frontier: The Settlement of Northern New England, 1610-1763. Here's an observation I made while reading The Story of Gatlinburg. (Full reviews of the books in which my blog contains only observations are usually available in my Facebook books application.)

Please dont forget to link back here or whoever tags you.

Now, I'm supposed to tag 10 others. I tag:

Apple (Apple's Tree)

Miriam (AnceStories)

Tim (Walking the Berkshires)

Bill (West in New England)

Lisa (Small Leaved Shamrock)

Chery (Nordic Blue)

Colleen (Orations of OMcHodoy)

John (Transylvanian Dutch)

Melissa (Mainelife . . . thru the eyes of someone from away)

Shawn (Everything and Nothing)

3 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

This is so very interesting. I get to know so many people via blogs by this meme. I am going to look through your links now.

Thanks for doing this via Maggie. I will go, thank her too!

maggie moran said...

I love it, Lori! Thanks for playing. I read your Gatlinburg post and we have an opposite problem. People are always trying to add a "g" to our name. Instead of our given Moran people across the US call us Morgan. Arrgh! :)

footnoteMaven said...

Lori:

As you gave this to Bill and he gave it to me. I am sending it back to you, having done it my way.

Ahh-Choo! I Think I've Caught Something.

fM