Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Non-Fiction Five Challenge: Book 1


Gilbert, Elizabeth. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everthing Across Italy, India, and Indonesia. (ISBN 978-0-14-303841-2)


I ran out of books on my trip to the Bahamas. The book selection was rather limited in the Fort Lauderdale airport. This sounded like one of the more interesting reads, although I knew that I'd disagree with the author in regards to spiritual matters. I purchased it to read on the flight home. I also discovered that we disagree on political matters. The author set out to find herself after a divorce. She travelled to the three I's--Italy, India, and Indonesia. The real search was for God, but she was searching for Him in all the wrong places. No one will find God in Yoga or in Hinduism. In many places in the book, the observations she wrote sounded similar to Biblical truths; however, I'm reminded that Satan is a liar. He will often snare someone by making something appear to be good when in reality it is leading one down a slippery slope that will eventually separate them from God. (cf. 1 John 2) I found myself wanting to tell the author about the one true God--much as the apostle Paul told those in the Areopagus of the one true God in Acts 17.

2 comments:

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

Amen to that, Lori. I was thinking of reading this book, but I'll probably pass after reading your review.

Wish I could participate in the Non-Fiction Five, but I still have two books (both non-fiction) on my nightstand that I've made almost NO progress on in the last 6 months. Hard to read with a little one taking up all your time!

Diana Raabe said...

Interesting! This is a point of view I hadn't heard expressed with regard to this book.