Smoky Mountain Family Historian

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday Thingers - July 22, 2008

Today's topic: Recommendations. Do you use LT's recommendations feature? Have you found any good books by using it? Do you use the anti-recommendations, or the "special sauce" recommendations? How do you find out about books you want to read?

Yes, I look at the recommendations. Once in awhile I find something to add to my wish list. I have found the anti-recommendations to be less useful simply because I have eclectic tastes. I use a variety of methods to find out about books I want to read. Since I'm a librarian, I often look at publishers catalogs that I receive or reviews that I locate in publications. I also find things in the LibraryThing early reviewers program and its associated group (which usually contains links to the reviews as they are published). I have several book blogs in my feeds, and I am usually adding a few from those as well. I have more things in my wish list than I can possibly get around to reading in the near future, and it just keeps growing!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Interesting blog.:) One of the stranger things I've noticed when using the recommendations features is that there are several times when it's suggested books that I have but for some reason or other had not entered into my library yet. Which is kind of creepy.

    By Blogger jmnlman, at 3:15 AM  

  • Thanks. Sometimes it suggests books I've already entered! It is an interesting feature though!

    By Blogger Lori Thornton, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home