Tuesday, January 01, 2008

January is . . .

ResourceShelf lists some of the designations for the month of January 2008.

With genealogy in mind, I thought I'd comment on these designations.

National Mentoring Month - Have you mentored someone in genealogy? I know that I have, but I could probably do more here.

Get Organized Month - I need another filing cabinet, but this may have to wait unless I stumble upon a good buy on a used one in decent shape. I've got some shelves I'll be installing in my garage, probably this month to organize my journals and magazines that I don't need all the time but want to keep.

International Creativity Month - I'll probably need help from Jasia on this one! I've got a scrapbook or two that I've purchased, but I don't have the first clue about scrapbooking! LOL I have purchased a few papers, acid free corners and glue sticks, and a few "extras" for what I want to do with one of them, but I really don't know that I can do this in one month.

National Clean Up Your Computer Month - Does this mean I have to find all the stuff that was input in the first genealogy program I had and go back and cite it properly? My first genealogy program only had 10 lines of notes in which you were expected to put any narrative and any sources. Needless to say, I have all sorts of abbreviations, and sometimes I didn't source every entry on those early entries. I've gone back through some of my files and sourced some of the info, but it's a rather overwhelming task, and there's no way it can be done in a month. I do a pretty good job of keeping most of my computer files in meaningful folders and subfolders.

National Skating Month - I think I'll leave this one to Janice who controls snowball fights and other mischief.

UN: International Year of the Potato begins - I don't have Irish ancestry, but I do know that many immigrants came over during the Potato Famine. I think all Irish can consider this their year!

California Dried Plum Digestive Health Month - I don't live in California so I'm off the hook on this one! I'll leave it up to Randy how to celebrate.

National Glaucoma Awareness Month - I will have to watch out for this one. Some of my near direct-line ancestors have had glaucoma. This is one of those cases where knowing your family's health history comes in handy. In other words, it's a good reason to do genealogy!

National Poverty in America Awareness Month - Some of my ancestors were "dirt poor." I think they knew a thing or two about poverty. Mom always says that they were "dirt poor" and didn't know it.

UN: International Year of Sanitation begins - This is where I'm thankful to be living in a country where being sanitary is made easy. I know there are pockets even in America where sanitation is lacking, but even some of those areas have made progress.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Now I have even more incentive to clean up my office. You should do this for every month! :-)

Keith said...

Interested to see about Glaucoma awareness month. I have recently had Glaucoma Symptoms and was amazed to read that in the US over 2 million people suffer from Glaucoma even though many do not know they have it.
kmgwebs.com/glaucoma-symptoms