Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Books

What Christmas is complete without a few good Christmas reads?



I'm sure all of us had a copy of A Visit from St. Nicholas (or Twas the Night Before Christmas) by Clement C. Moore that we read each year at our homes. I'm not sure whatever happened to the copy that I had while growing up, and I wish I knew who the illustrator was so that I could obtain another copy.



Then, we all know the story of Ebenezer Scrooge that Charles Dickens brought to us in A Christmas Carol. Even if you never read the book, you've seen a movie adaptation or play.



Kate Douglas Wiggin brought us another Christmas classic in The Birds' Christmas Carol.



O. Henry brought us The Gift of the Magi.



I decided to search my LibraryThing to see what I have tagged as a Christmas book. Some of the fiction titles in the list will end up being traded for credit at McKay's in Knoxville. Here's a quick run-down:



Debbie Macomber / Christmas Wishes



Jan Karon / The Mitford Snowmen



Cookies for Christmas (I think this is a small cookbook that came with my Taste of Home subscription.)



Anne Perry / A Christmas Journey



Dorothea Benton Frank / The Christmas Pearl



Marcia Evanick / A Berry Merry Christmas



Jeff Smith / The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas



Fern Michaels / Comfort and Joy



Rhonda Gowler Greene / Santa's Stuck



Janet Dailey / Mistletoe and Molly



Marcia Evanick / Mistletoe Bay



Christmas with Southern Living 1993



Carolyn Kramlich / Mary's Treasure Box



Toni L.P. Kelner / Mad as the Dickens



Valerie Wolzein / Deck the Halls with Murder



Valentine Davies / Miracle on 34th Street



Comfort & Joy (This is one of those Gooseberry Patch cookbooks someone gave me.)


Iza Trapani / Jingle Bells

I'm currently reading Murder Most Merry, a short-story collection that features a lot of well-known mystery writers.

I've also decided that I must not have tagged all my Christmas books as "Christmas" because there are a few picture books that I know I have that aren't in the listing. I just can't remember all the titles right now. I have one that is the neatest little picture book that shows how Christmas is celebrated in different cultures around the world.

This is the grab bag post for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories.

2 comments:

Moultrie Creek said...

Looking at your list, I'll bet you'd enjoy "A Redbird Christmas" by Fannie Flagg. Even better, it's set in a fictional place somewhere in the coastal area near Mobile.

Lori Thornton said...

That's a good one. We got it at the library the year it came out. If we buy it there, I usually don't purchase it for home. Although I ordered the Dottie Frank book this year for home before I ordered it for the library. I spotted it at Amazon after we'd ordered the bulk of the Christmas books. I did order it the next month for the library, but I got it at home first. Donna VanLiere always has a good Christmas book as well. Debbie Macomber is an author that I discovered through her Christmas books. I'm not a huge romance fan, but I'll read them at Christmas. I generally prefer mysteries.