Saturday, August 02, 2008

Internet Explorer Doesn't Like Blogger/Blogspot

There seems to be a problem with using Internet Explorer to try to view blogs hosted at blogspot.com. If you can read this, you are probably using Firefox, Safari, or Opera as your browser. I first encountered the problem last night. At that time, it wasn't affecting all the blogs at blogspot, but today there are more blogs that I'm unable to access. I do hope that IE gets the problem ironed out, but in the meantime, I hope that a few of you who are at WordPress or on your own server will encourage people to download Firefox at http://www.mozilla.com/.

Update: It appears that the conflict is between SiteMeter, a tool that many of us use to get statistics about visitors, and IE7. Switching to Firefox as your browser solves the problem! I'm checking for options other than losing those stats by removing the counter because SiteMeter provides a set of stats that isn't available via Google Analytics.

Update 2: I'm told that this fix found at Little Green Footballs in the comments works for people browsing:

QUICK FIX! QUICK FIX! QUICK FIX!

If you're suffering these problems in IE7, add "*.sitemeter.com" to your list of restricted sites. That will force IE to reject the bad code. I was having the same problems and now they're gone.

Procedure:

1. Open menu item: Tools...Options
2. Click "Security" tab
3. Select "Restricted Sites"
4. Click "Sites" button
5. Under "Add this website to this zone", enter "*.sitemeter.com" without the quotes
6. Click "Add" button
7. Close windows using "Close" or "OK", not "Cancel".

After that, and without a restart, Sitemeter's thwartage is thwarted!

4 comments:

Donna said...

Lori,

What version of IE do you have? While I agree that Firefox is superior and it's what I use, I just used IE to check both your blog and the one I have hosted by Blogger. Both came up just fine with IE 7.

Donna

What's Past is Prologue

Lori Thornton said...

I have IE7, and I'm not sure why mine isn't malfunctioning like some of the others. I just think we need to get the word out that if people are trying to access a blog that isn't working that they should try another browser.

Bob Franks said...

It looks as if the situation has been corrected. I can now get to blogs that I couldn't load earlier today.

Colleen said...

Working fine on IE7 here. Thanks for the info though.

I passed on an award to you, too, for the BFF. (Blogging Friends Forever).