Friday, August 08, 2008

Old Recipe Ingredient: Pastry Stick

I took my Mom to the used bookstore today. While we were there, she got an old DAR cookbook that had a recipe by one of her first cousins. The recipe called for a "pastry stick." I asked what that was. She said that they used to sell them and that they looked a lot like butter sticks. Mom had never used one. I decided to try to search the Internet to see if I could find what they were. I can find recipes for puff pastry sticks. I can find pastries that have a filling and are stick-shaped that are called pastry sticks, but I can find nothing butter-like or a dough that is to be shaped like a pastry that is called it (at least so far). What would be used instead of a pastry stick in the modern kitchen? Does anyone remember these old pastry sticks?

5 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

I did a search as well. At first I thought it was another way of saying "rolling pin" but if it is listed as an ingredient, then it might be a finished piece of pastry like a lady finger. Another one would be a millefleure which is a bar of puff pastry which has been baked - not as thick as an eclair but more like a stick of butter.

Lori Thornton said...

I got the impression it was more dough-like or had ingredients that you might find in dough.

Donna said...

Might it be the "stick" of pie dough that they used to sell? It looked like a stick of butter. You let it soften a little, then roll it out to make a pie shell.

Lori Thornton said...

That's probably what it was. I wonder if the modern equivalent would be the Pillsbury pie crusts that you unroll. I was mainly wondering if it would be more like a graham cracker texture or a true pie crust texture or something completely different in texture and flavor.

Unknown said...

Maybe its what my daughter in law wants for Christmas - she calls it a pastry push and its a stick with a ball on either end. Can't seem to find one though