Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nanny's Diary

I rediscovered my maternal grandmother's diary recently. It had been in a box that hadn't been opened in awhile. I pulled it out to read. One of the things that amazed me is that she would often mention events that occurred on that day in history.

For example, on Dec. 7, 1976, she stated:

This is Pearl Harbor day. Seems so long ago.
So many changes have taken place in my life since then & in the world also.

On April 25, 1977, she wrote:

On April 25, 1910 we had snow. It killed some of my father's young cotton and he had [to] plant over in some places.

Most of her entries talked about the weather or who had phoned or came to visit. However, these (and several other entries) offered so many insights.

I wish she'd gone on and on about how things were before and after Pearl Harbor so we could know a little more about the changes she had witnessed.

I wonder how she could so clearly remember the date of a snow 67 years before when I can't remember them from one year to the next!

No comments: