Monday, June 02, 2008

Boston Diary - June 2

This morning I got up early and stopped by Dunkin Donuts for breakfast rather than waiting until the hotel serves breakfast so that I could get on my way for the day's adventure.

My next stop was Enterprise Rent-A-Car in the "Pru" where I picked up this Kia to assist me in getting around to my destinations.


I started in Massachusetts. My day's travels would take me to two other states.


I decided to go to the most northerly point and work my way back down the coast so I headed up I-95 to Portland. My real destination was Cape Elizabeth, home of the famous Portland Head Light. I love lighthouses and was tempted to buy one of those lighthouse passport things, but then I thought of all the lighthouses that I'd already visited that wouldn't get stamped so I decided against it. Besides - a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words.


As I was driving down along the coast to the next place, I noticed that Thornton is a very popular street name. I suppose that they are really honoring Matthew Thornton, the signer of the Declaration of Independence, who is not related to our Thorntons. However, it's fun to pretend that they named it just in your honor! When I passed this place in Saco, I think, I couldn't help but wonder if was name in my honor, Terry's, or both.

Lunchtime found me in a well-known Maine town, Kennebunkport.

I had lunch at The Clam Shack, which looked like a great place to eat judging by the crowds there. It apparently has one of the best lobster rolls in all of New England; however, since I had lobster roll yesterday, I decided to try the clam strip roll instead. Without a doubt, those were the best clam strips I'd ever had in my life! The scenery over the bridge was gorgeous as well!


Now, if you make a trip to Kennebunkport, you know where you have to go. This isn't it, but it's along the road that leads there, and I thought it was a great picture!

Here is a picture of some of the seaweed that has washed upon the rocks. I loved this picture too!
Here are a few other homes in Kennebunkport. Can you tell that I fell in love with this quaint little town, and I hadn't even seen the reason for my detour along this road yet!
Here it is! The Bush summer home on Walker's Point. It was breathtaking. I didn't see George or Barbara (or even the secret service), but it was worth the drive.
It had taken so long to follow the coast from the Portland Head Light to Kennebunkport that I decided that if I was going to make it to my ancestral town in the next state down and have any time to look around that I'd better hop back on the toll road. I headed back to I-95, and before I knew it, I was crossing into New Hampshire.
My destination was Hampton. I loved the town of Hampton but I mostly spent my time driving around the town. I thought I would surely find the library or a historical society or museum or something, but before I spotted that I found Hampton Beach. I went to two different locations to take picture along the beach. This first one doesn't have white sand, but the second one does. Maybe Amy can tell us more about the beaches or locations.

When I got to the boardwalk area, I saw this sign which immediately reminded me of Bill and Janice. I didn't stop for one because I had a huge drink in the car that I'd picked up at a convenience store and because I'm holding out for the best (as recommended by Bill).
This is the beach along the boardwalk area of Hampton Beach. You can see that it has white sand.

This is part of the boardwalk area. I believe that Ashworth by the Sea is a well-known hotel because I've actually heard of it before.
This little fellow kept me entertained. He kept pecking at the little girl's beach toys bag. He would move around from one side to another. I think he wanted to play with some of the toys! I was just getting ready to put my camera on movie mode to capture him when the little girl noticed and ran up and frightened him away!
Did I mention how COLD the Atlantic was? BRRRR . . . One lady told me that it doesn't really get warm enough to swim there until July. That wasn't stopping surfers at the one beach though. I don't see how they could stand the water as cold as it was.


I ran back into Hampton but I really didn't find much. I saw a cemetery, but I was not sure if it was the historic one where my ancestors were buried, and I suspected they'd be closing the gates soon. I tried to find the Lane Public Library, but I couldn't find it either. I don't think they believe in using those little blue library signs they have in the rest of the country in New England. I knew that I was really going to have to come back when I had time to stay and really research them. However, I accomplished what I set out to do--to visit the town in which my ancestors had lived.

Now I'm ready to see what I can find at the NEHGS library over the next few days!

6 comments:

maggie moran said...

I bought a lighthouse passport in Oregon and haven't used it since. We stayed at a lighthouse on Isle-au-Haute in Maine while visiting, too! No electricity in our cute little oil shack. So romantic. ;)

Lori Thornton said...

No electricity? That would be hard for me. (Can you tell that I'm not much like my Amish ancestors?) Was there a generator?

Terry Thornton said...

LORI, This reads and looks like you are having a series of great adventures. Thanks for sharing your trip. Now about the use of the Thornton name. The only road I know named after me is Thornton Road in Monroe County --- maybe they knew you were coming and named the ones there for you! LOL!
TERRY

Lori Thornton said...

There are a couple of Thornton roads down in the Chestnut Hill area of Jefferson County, Tennessee. However, they do have first names on them. I'll just pretend that all these folks up here were honoring me then if you don't want to claim the fame!

Janice said...

Lori,

Great photographs! You were so close to historic Portsmouth that it could have bitten you! No lighthouse there, but they do have a slag pile for a landmark! :D

Janice

Lori Thornton said...

I really had planned to go to Strawberry Banke, but I was only in Kennebunkport by the time I really wanted to have been back into New Hampshire. I just had no idea how long the trip would take! Now I have an excuse to come back--besides the fact that I think I could spend the next 20 years at NEHGS and still have lots of work left to do on my lines!