Monday, June 30, 2008

Non-Fiction Five Challenge: Book 4


Maxwell, Nancy Kalikow. Sacred Stacks: The Higher Purpose of Libraries and Librarianship. Chicago: American Library Association, 2006.

3 stars. The author draws an analogy between religious calling and the calling of librarianship. There were parts of this book with which I could nod my head in agreement; however, the author takes an analogy and consistently stretches it too far throughout most of the book. I had to force myself to continue throughout most of the early chapters, but the later chapters were written in a more engaging style. I struggled as to whether or not I should rate this as a 2.5 or 3. I decided to err with the more generous rating although I'm not sure that it's quite at that level.

3 comments:

Scribacchina said...

Hello Lori,
the book sounds interesting, although flawed. Thanks for sharing.
Francesca

footnoteMaven said...

Lori:

This has become one of my favorite stops.

Keep those reviews coming. I can always use another book! And I value your opinion.

fM

Lori Thornton said...

Thanks, fM.